Friday, February 4, 2011

Faith, Trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust

Snow days for this week were a delightful surprise.  :) I shouldn't say surprise because they were predicted, but they did serve as a nice break.  I do love school weeks that consist of three days.

Ryann created a PowerPoint quiz about herself today.  It consisted of 20 multiple choice questions and began with a playful warning indicating that failure would cause a termination of friendship; the pressure was on.  I emerged victorious with 19 correct! (I missed a question about her biggest pet peeve.  I got it on the second try.) 

Though this quiz was purely out of fun, it's interesting to think about how well we know each other.  Few people would have been as successful as I was on that quiz.  She has become more vocal within recent years, but Ryann is not the most outspoken individual.  This means that she saw something worthwhile in me.  She held me trustworthy to safeguard some of her most precious thoughts and feelings.  How do we, as people, determine who to trust?  How do we discover these rare, true confidants? 

In many cases, we don't.  We choose incorrectly and our reputations become destroyed, our hearts broken.  And so we learn.  We pick up the pieces of who we were and either mend them or start fresh.  It is possible to forgive another without ever trusting that person again.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Trust is sacred, something to be earned rather than given.

I bring up the ugly side of trust to bring greater appreciation to the beauty of it.  It's indescribably wonderful, astounding to begin to comprehend how much of ourselves rests in others.  We want to share what we feel and know and think but with the safety that we won't be judged.  We want to be so much more than what we are.  We want to bask in the glory of others.  Trust allows us to expand our horizons and still feel a sense of belonging within others.  To feel such a special bond with one or maybe more is remarkable.  It's worth taking the time to appreciate the people in your life that you can trust wholeheartedly; with every fiber of your being.

My sisters just came home from school so I no longer have the ability to concentrate.  I hope that this proves to be a little thought-provoking and inspiring. :)

“To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved.” 

~George MacDonald

2 comments:

  1. Wow...deep thoughts from Alaina. Way to blow my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing. Great thoughts. It is true that you can't trust everyone. But a treasured friend is invaluable!

    ReplyDelete